Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Assignment 1 - Needs & Wants

What I need to be when I grow up?

In order to accomplish what I want to be when I grow up, my needs need to be met first in order for the wants to be successful. First, I need to graduate from college with a good GPA as well as successfully student teach this coming spring. I am on track so far with a 3.45/4.0 GPA through the end of my junior year of college and my student teaching application and portfolio recently turned in. Second, I need to have my finances in order once I graduate. I will be lucky enough to not have to repay any loans after college and actually leave college with money still in my bank account. It was worth it to fill out all of those scholarship applications during my senior year of high school. By having my finances in order, this will help to give me some options in regards to getting on my feet and beginning my future career. Third, I need to just be myself (self-explanatory).

What do I want to be when I grow up?

When I grow up, I want to teach Physical Education at the high school level somewhere in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Ultimately, I would love to teach and coach at my old high school (Prospect HS). My family is all located in either Chicago or the surrounding suburbs and it is important to me to be near them since I am close to them. I would also like to get married and have a family that I can support. While it would be nice to have a large salary, money is not the most important thing to me. More importantly, teaching and coaching will allow me to share my passion of sports with my future students and student-athletes and hopefully leaving a positive, lasting impression on them.

While everybody would love to have all of their wants met in addition to their needs, I realize that life doesn't always work like that. Needs need to come before wants. It's that simple. But through hard work, a strong desire, and motivation, a person's wants can be met. I believe that I can achieve them and that is all that really matters to me.

1 comment: